5 Best Window Fans
Is the hot air in your kitchen window getting to you? Then it’s time you got a window fan to cool things down. A well-made window fan runs quietly and keeps the area around it at a reasonable temperature level.
While there are a lot of window fans available for sale online, there aren’t that many detailed reviews. We’ve been using window fans for a long time now, and we’ve used our experience to narrow the field down to these five.
We also have a buyer’s guide if you want to know more about window fans in general. If you’re new to window fans you might find this info useful.
Windows Fan Buying Guide
The following are the most salient factors to consider before you buy a window fan.
- Efficiency: The whole point of a window fan is to lower the temperature while keeping energy consumption low. Look for a window fan which lowers the temperature by 2 degrees or more. With this level of efficiency you won’t need an aircon.
- Size: Window fans come in all shapes and sizes. A small one will do if you’re going to use it in a small area. For most cases however, a 20-inch diameter is the minimum required.
- Adjustability: Look for those with adjustable side panels to keep the air from flowing in the fan again. The fit should be snug and tight, and you’re going to find a lot of these have side panels integrated. Others however use mounting kits.
- Between mounting kits and side panels, it’s better to go with the latter. With side panels you just need to open your window, put the fan in and turn it on.
Types of Fans
There are two basic types, double and single.
- Single fan window fans come with a single blade and can draw in or exhaust air.
- Dual blade window fans can be configured to use one or two fans. Most also have low, high and other settings.
More advanced window fans have a thermostat so you can control the air exhaust and speed intake. Window fans with thermostats are ideal in areas where the temperature fluctuates significantly during the day and night.
Window fans equipped with intake and exhaust switches allow you to remove the hot air before letting cool air in. This makes them especially good at cooling rooms. They can also be used anywhere in your home.
Bionaire Twin Reversible Airflow Window Fan
The Bionaire Window Fan comes with three speed settings so you can cool your kitchen or any room in your house. It also has a remote control for easy adjustment up to 4.5 m (15 ft.) away.
This dual-blade fan draws cool air in and pulls hot air out, but you can adjust the blades so it does both at the same time. You can operate the fan manually or program the thermostat. You can set the temperature from 60 to 80 degrees, and the Bionaire turns off automatically. Since the controls have LED lighting, you’ll be able to use it at night.
The motor is built for heavy-duty use and is also one of the few in its class that is water resistant. You can use the remote to control the temperature, airflow direction, operation and speed. The remote uses 2 AAA batteries (not included) and is one of the most responsive we have tried.
The speed settings (low, medium, high) provide you with full airflow control. By changing the settings you’ll be able to optimize its use. The unit also has an adjustable extender, so the screen can be used on bigger windows, i.e. 24” to 37”.
The slider panels also provide vertical orientation support. Lastly, the reversible airflow control can change blade direction.
- The digital thermostat can be programmed to match your needs.
- The motor is water resistant, UL approved and can be used even if there’s rain.
- The remote control allows you to control the fan up to a distance of 15 feet.
- There are 3 speed settings so you have full control over the fan’s speed.
- The airflow control is reversible.
- Programming provides a good deal of customizability
- Water-resistant motor
- Easy to use
- Adjustable options
- The remote control has no speed change button
- The beeper is loud
The Bionaire is a very serviceable window fan and is built to last. It’s also one of the most durable dual window fans and is built for extended use during the hot summer months. It does a good job of blowing hot air out and keeping cool air in. The remote control is also responsive so you don’t need to be anywhere near the fan.
Holmes Twin Window Fan with Comfort Control Thermostat
The Holmes window fan is equipped with a comfort control thermostat so you can configure the fan for optimum cooling. Despite being made of lightweight plastic, the Holmes is still durable. Equipped with six blades, the fan is one of the best at removing hot air and ensuring cool air is kept in.
The Holmes fan is assembled out of the box so there’s no need to mess around with it. By using the thermostat controls and speed settings, you’ll be able to customize it. We also want to point out that the fan can be electronically reversed: you can adjust the exhaust and intake blade fan independently.
You can adjust the Holmes window fan so the screen will fit in a bigger window. Like in other quality window fans, the Holmes motor is water resistant and is designed for heavy-duty use. You can use this even when it rains.
The Holmes window fan is designed for windows that are 25 x 12 inches in size, but with the extender panels you can use it on 35-inch wide windows. It doesn’t have any LED indicator lights, but some people may prefer it especially if you’re going to use it in the bedroom.
Another advantage we want to point is its quiet performance. Noisy window fans can be really annoying so this is a feature that a lot of people will appreciate.
- The Comfort Control Thermostat provides you with full speed management.
- The airflow can be reversed, and you’ll be able to adjust the blade to remove and take in air.
- The Holmes window fan is energy efficient and uses 60% less power than regular other window fans.
- There are 3 speed settings – low, medium and high – so you are always comfortable and cool.
- Reversible airflow control and an adjustable extender for greater user control.
- No assembly needed
- Adjustable screen extender
- Heavy-duty motor
- Does not have any LED indicator lights
- No temperature readout
The Holmes window fan may look unassuming, but it has more detailed features than most. It is easy to install and the controls are not hard to use. It fits nicely in any window and is solidly built. It is also quiet so you it isn’t going to keep you up at night and it performs exceptionally well.
HowPlumb Portable Twin Reversible Window Fan
The HowPlumb Window Fan is designed to cool any room, and is powered by two motors which move independently for maximum airflow control. This reversible fan also comes with a remote control so you can adjust the settings even when you’re far away. With a quick press of the button you can customize the fan to suit your needs.
The window fan is ETL listed so you’re assured of its quality. Even with continuous use, the HowPlumb fan continues to provide the same performance. The combination of the motor and blades keep hot air out and ensure that cool air keeps circulating.
The fan has 3 speed settings: low, medium and high. There is a slight humming sound when the fan is set to low, but it isn’t distracting and it disappears when the fan is set at a higher speed.
We also like the bug screen which is built into the fan. Bugs are annoying, and if they get in the fan they can cause a lot of damage. Fortunately the screen keeps them at bay and away from the critical components.
- You can configure the fan for multiple settings so you have maximum control over the airflow.
- The package includes a remote control, a couple of snap-on feet and two removable covers.
- The product is ETL listed and complies with North American safety standards.
- There is a bug screen to prevent pests from getting in the fan.
- The fabric cover sticks on the front when the fan is not turned on, keeping humid and hot air out.
- The fan has circulation, exhaust and cool functions.
- The fan is designed for windows that are 23½ inches wide by 12 inches high and also windows up to 37 inches wide.
- Cools air significantly
- Easy to use
- Comes with a remote control
- Durable body
- Produces a humming sound on the low speed setting
- Switches reset when you turn the fan off
The HowPlumb is a good example of what a window fan should be. It is very effective at blowing out hot air and lowering the room temperature. It is easy to set up and works great whether it is used in the kitchen, bedroom or anywhere in your house. You’ll notice significant cooling thanks to the way the fan moves air.
Lasko Products 16” Reversible Fan
The Lasko is an energy-efficient fan designed to cool any room. It comes with three speed settings (low, medium and high) so you can customize its performance. The fan is easy to install and even a first-time user will not encounter difficulties getting it to run.
Speaking of installation, the Lasko window fan is designed for windows 26.5 to 34.5 inches wide and at least 22 inches high. With its patented safety plug you’ll be able to use it without worrying about your safety.
The fan does what it’s supposed to: it lowers the temperature when it’s turned on. The controls are intuitive and you will notice that cool air is pulled in quickly and hot air is expelled. You can install the Lasko in the kitchen, bedroom or any room in your home, and it won’t be long before you notice a reduction in the temperature.
Like other Lasko fans this model is built for the long term and doesn’t overheat easily. The lightweight design means you can install it anywhere in your home; in fact some people use it to move hot air out of their garage. If you want a window fan to cool your kitchen, garage or any room in your house, the Lasko is a great one to try.
- The fan is ETL listed and conforms to the highest safety standards on the market.
- The Lasko fan has the proprietary Storm Guard for superior performance and safety.
- The motor is designed for heavy-duty use.
- The fan comes with a Lasko-patented safety plug so you can use it with confidence.
- The blades are made for heavy-duty use.
- Cools air better than most window fans
- Gets rid of hot air
- Durable design
- Easy to install
- Not as quiet as other window fans
- Doesn’t have a remote control
The Lasko fan has earned a solid reputation for getting rid of trapped heat. This fan is durable and is built to withstand heavy use. It is also one of the easier ones to install. It does produce some noise, but it isn’t as loud as other fans and this isn’t a deal breaker. When it comes to performance, the Lasko is dependable.
Avalon Twin Window Fan
The Avalon Window Fan is equipped with 9 blades for maximum efficiency. It also has three speed options so you can customize the fan’s performance to match your requirements.
The Avalon also employs the latest in cooling technology. It is equipped with a thermostat for temperature management, and the lights allow you to keep track of the temperature. This double fan also has reversible airflow, allowing it to remove and take in air at the same time.
The fans side panels are expandable, allowing it to fit in most common window sizes. You can use the Avalon as is, but it is also possible to expand it to accommodate a bigger window. We also have to say that with its dual motors, the Avalon can withstand heavy use.
The Avalon is also durable, unlike many other fans which don’t last long and expire after just a few months or years. The Avalon however is well built and can withstand heavy use even on hot summer days.
The Avalon’s design also makes it ideal for use in different areas of your home. While most people use it in the bedroom, it is just as applicable and useful in the kitchen, living room or any area with windows that you want to cool down.
- The fan has three speed options which you can choose with ease.
- The Avalon is built with reversible airflow so the blades can move independently.
- Its side panels are expandable and accommodate an extra 6.5 inches along the sides.
- The unit is built with heavy-duty motors.
- There is an in-built thermostat with a 60 to 80 F range.
- There are LED lights so you’ll be able to keep track of the temperature.
- Easy to operate
- Has a temperature monitor tracker
- Heavy-duty dual motors
- Produces a low pitched hum
- Pulling the panels takes some effort
The Avalon is an excellent window fan and works just as you’d expect a quality product to. Even at the lowest speed the Avalon produces a significant change in temperature, cooling the room and getting rid of hot air. We also like that this is a low-maintenance fan so you don’t need to do a lot of upkeep.
Window fans are more popular than ever. With temperatures swinging to and fro and getting hotter than ever in many areas of the US, it makes sense to purchase a window fan as it is a cost-effective alternative to an air conditioning system. Hopefully with the five products reviewed here you now know which one to get for your home.
While reviewing these fans we also had a chance to compare the products head on. All five are exceptionally well-made, but in our opinion the Avalon is the best of the bunch when it comes to performance and reliability.
However, it is really up to you to decide which is the best. By reading the reviews here you will get an idea about which one is most practical for your home.
One thing is also certain: whichever you choose of the five here, it will make a difference insofar as cooling your home is concerned. Good luck!